Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Of file copies

Over the last few weeks, I have done a poor job of posting. No, no, keep your objections. I have, and I admit it. That does not mean I did not want to post, but does that count for anything? I have had all manner of thoughts. Reviews of some recently, and no longer so recently read books. Three or four by Vince Flynn and his superhero Mitch Rapp. A mystery in Russian, "Cosmopolis" by Dan DeLillo. "Birth of Venus" by Sarah Dunant [ed. I originally wrote "Durant"]. Impressed? And I am even remembering the titles and authors from atop my head. I will try to check them later, but you will have to believe me that I first wrote them from memory. [yes, "atop my head" is an intentional and poor attempt at a idiosyncratic literary indulgence].

So why am I typing now, and not over the last few weeks? Well, I am copying 5.67GB worth of files from IBM onto my laptop, at which point I will attempt to proceed to install a new development tool onto my machine. This is a lot of files, some of them thoroughly obscure - like OS390 file headers for a linux installation? This week is something of a breather for my team, always welcome and just as often disturbing. It is these slowdowns that make me feel I am a soldier in some war. The frenzied demands of clients quickly and painlessly turned our measured development process into a chaotic free-for-all, complete with obligatory heroics, mistakes, and all-nighters. And so we worked. And delivered, it seems, a fairly good custom version of our product for demo. After traveling, taking shoes off at the airport, and the client presentation the frenzy has been replaced by a calm, if sinking, feeling. Something is amiss, but there are so many things to do, that waiting for files to copy is the only sensible thing to do.

I hope to write a few posts this week. Once the week is over, and we overcome our immediate technical difficulties, hear from clients, and deal with personal issues, the frenzy will resume. And in time, subside again.

ps. Why would anyone believe a blogger will actually write about any of the things put off for future publishing? Beats me.

1 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Blogger crazyfortea said...

Did you like Cosmopolis? I haven't read that one yet, though I've enjoyed several other of DeLillo's works. Oh, and another correction for you--it's "Don." :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home